Saturday, December 18, 2004

To kill a Mockingbird

I have long resisted the temptation to watch the movie version of one of my favourite books of all time. Until today. I watched Harper Lee's 'To kill a Mockingbird' on DVD and I was gripped. This has to be the most faithful adaptation of a book ever made.

However, the movie, while capturing the mood and spirit of the book, skims over details and skips characters and events. The book's richness in detail and the way in which it devotes a substantial part into the painting a portrait of Jem and Scout's life, are irrevocably lost in the movie.

Initially, I had reservation to someone as handsome as Gregory Peck playing Atticus Finch. In my mind, Atticus is quite plain, almost severe-looking. Someone whose sense of justice is not distracted by his good looks. But Peck does such a good job of it you can almost forgive him for his looks.

My favourite part had to be the first half. The lazy summer with its endless days of nothingness were so nostalgic it hurt. Someone once said, ' Don't judge a book by its movie'. I agree, except this once.

No comments: