Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A quick tale 149

Epiphany

What's the word for what I'm feeling right now? Epiphany? Yes, I think that's it. Here I am, standing in a queue to pay my telephone bill on a Wednesday afternoon and in a rare, undisturbed moment, I reflect. On how I came to this point of my life. A middle-aged man who's fast losing his hair wondering how long it will be before it is his turn at the till. How did I get here? I don't remember much of the journey. There are only two more people in front of me now. I check my bill, count my cash, adjust my crotch and look at the receding hairline of the man in front of me. When did the brazen idealist of my twenties give way to this softer, mellow version who takes comfort in other people's baldness? Did it happen overnight or was it gradual? So gradual that I did not notice the change? Bald man moves. I stand in front of the till. Yes?, queries the bull dog behind the mesh. The spell is broken. I place the bill on the counter, weigh it down with a wad of cash and slide it across to her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess this answers the prev person's email about whether the main character in the story is always you. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hm,

Cmon Ammani. Even if this QT came about spontaneously, it does seem blatant and that it should come so immediately after that email QT.

"Quad Erat Demonstrandum" maybe?

Ravages/CC said...

'tis good. I quite like bald men who reflect a lot. They make good characters.

Anonymous said...

"Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
Killing me softly with his song"


Hehhhhh. Been there, done that. And you have done it again too : )

Twisted DNA said...

Well written. I am not bald, I am not in the middle age yet, but I still think the same things you mentioned :) One thing that comforts me is, I keep convincing myself that I am only as old as I think I am... so with that logic I am only 25 and I feel that way too :)

The Kid said...

To me bald men look mature and learned. Makes me respect them.

the being said...

Hi,

First time commenter. I enjoy ur little tales a lot. and i AM very tempted to ask u why they r sad.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! U really got some stuff going on here!! Very nice.. very nice…

U know just the other day.. I came across this site that specializes in travel tours to India.. has anyone here been to India?? It’s this awesome place, where u have old school and new school..(not really school..but u know what I’m saying right??)

I think the url is
http://www.indiatravelroute.com/?channel=rgxblog14&adgroup=jikku.blogspot

It’s a must see place.. the site.. and the place too.. cuz these guys have awesome travel packages to India.. the finest ur money can buy!! Not that is so expensive, but for what they’re providing.. totally worth it!!

Later!!