Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In praise of...4

In praise of swimming

I swim three times a week - some 30 laps of a 30 metre pool. I've stuck to this routine for the past year. I went swimming until two days before my second one was born. And was back in the water about 3 weeks later. I see the same set of people nearly every time I enter the pool - Mrs. Amazon, Hippo, Johnny English, Jalkrida, Mouseface and Doggy-paddle. I rarely exchange more than a nod and a smile with these people. It's almost as if we all want to be left alone. I enjoy the solitude that water offers. There's no visual distraction. There is no temptation to bring in an ipod. There's just the water and you battling submersion. One, two and up for a breath. One, two and up for a breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

//Mrs. Amazon, Hippo, Johnny English, Jalkrida, Mouseface and Doggy-paddle// they occupied my tea time imagination today! :) ... prax had read it before I did and was mentioning the nicknames ... :) ...
Enjoyed it!

No wonder you were so fit and healthy before, during and after delivery! :)

D LordLabak said...

No ipod...cheers!! Listening to music while working out....too overrated