Today Jikku's year 1 class had a visitor - a poet called Coral Rumble (I like her already!). And here's an exercise she devised to write poetry.
POEM POT EXERCISE
- Take one poem-making kit (a pot, lined A4, plain A4, scissors and a pen)
- Fold the plain paper 4 times, creating 16 rectangles.
- Cut along the lines until you have 16 slips of paper.
- Decide on a subject you would really like to write a poem about, and write all your ideas - words, lines, phrases, similes - on the slips of paper. Use a new slip of paper for every idea and collect them all in your pot.
- When your pot is full, empty out your ideas and treat the slips of paper like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Put your ideas in the order you'd like them to appear in your poem. Play around with the pieces until you are happy with your ordering.
- Take the lined piece of paper and, taking each idea in order, expand your words, phrases etc into complete lines.
- Check to see if you need to add or take away words so that the lines link.
There you have it - your very own poem!
Share your poems in the comment box and I might just be tempted to show you mine.